Job Description: Social Worker
Job Status: Permanent Part Time (20 hours/week)
Reports to: Manager, Outreach Services
HepCURE is a non-profit committed to eliminating Hepatitis C in Canada. We work with community based organizations and pharmacies across Ontario and offer the most comprehensive screening and treatment program for marginalized people living with Hepatitis C.
The Social Worker will assist clients to deal with personal and social problems which impact adherence to treatment. Responsibilities include: providing counselling, coordinating and facilitating access to external community resources and programs that can assist clients during and after Hep C treatment.
The ideal candidate will have a friendly personality and will enjoy having direct contact with all kinds of clients from diverse ethno cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. She or he is proud to say that commitment to diversity and passion for helping others are amongst her/his personal values, and is looking for an opportunity that will allow her/him to exercise both while working for a non-profit community agency with a reputation for excellence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide recommendations on appropriateness of HepCURE related services;
- Assess client needs and develop care plans while building relationships with clients and caregivers;
- Assess and investigate eligibility for social benefits and provide assistance with navigating the health care system;
- Refer clients to other social services or assist clients in locating and utilizing community resources including legal, medical and financial assistance, housing, employment, transportation, day care and other services;
- Provide transportation assistance to and from required medical procedures;
- Meet with clients to assess their progress, give support and discuss any difficulties or problems;
- Assist in evaluating the effectiveness of treatment programs by tracking clients’ behavioural changes and responses to staff interactions and interventions;
- Provide crisis intervention and assistance in securing emergency shelter services;
- Implement and organize the delivery of specific services within the community;
- Maintain contact with other social service agencies and health care providers involved with clients to provide information and obtain feedback on clients’ overall progress;
- Develop and maintain program statistics for purposes of evaluation and research;
- Other duties as required.
- MSW obtained from an accredited school of Social Work required;
Current membership with OASW and OCCSWSSW, or eligibility to become a member required;
- Experience working within a community agency, shelter support services role or health care environment;
- Experience working with marginalized people and those who use drugs, and knowledge of community resources including funding sources;
- Demonstrate case management/coordination experience including assessment, scheduling, and implementation of services, care planning, plan monitoring, and evaluation processes;
- Flexibility to meet with clients based on their availability (including evenings and weekends);
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and vehicle; and willingness to undertake out-of-town travel as required;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Fluent in English; proficiency in French or other language is an asset;
- Strong problem‐solving skills, and the ability to think under pressure;
- Great time management and organizational skills;
- Strong focus on delivering quality customer service and patient care;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) facilitating effective communication in case reporting and assessments, with patients, families, peers, other healthcare team members and community partners;
- Demonstrates cross cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Excellent attendance and discipline free record required.
Please note: Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be worn at all times when meeting with clients in the community.
HepCURE has established very stringent policies and procedures to ensure safety of all staff and clients.